Monday, July 1, 2013

The Spice of Life - small project #1 - THE ESSENTIAL SPICE LIST - ALL THE SPICES YOU REALLY NEED


The first of my mini quests toward my ultimate goal was something that was bothering me in my kitchen.  I wanted to reorganize and streamline my spices into something that worked for me.  I have a thing for spices and am always collecting them.  I started out making use of some inexpensive revolving racks which while they worked well for a while, the bottles weren't airtight and moisture got into my spices.  I solved the issue by using Libbey glass bottles and a chrome rack which I ordered from Amazon.  The bottles were perfect, as they allow plenty of room to scoop that measuring spoon into and also a great airtight seal.  They were gorgeous and fit into the chrome rack perfectly.

Here is what they look like -


Finding the perfect racks and bottles though were the easy part - the hard part was devising what spices I actually use!  I finally came up with (after much research) the perfect list of spices that I really wanted to keep on hand, the rest are really not necessary.

The Perfect Spice List

  • ALLSPICE
  • BASIL
  • BAY LEAVES
  • CAYENNE PEPPER
  • CELERY SEED
  • CHILI POWDER
  • CINNAMON
  • CLOVES - GROUND
  • CLOVES - WHOLE
  • CREAM OF TARTAR
  • CUMIN
  • CURRY
  • DILL
  • DRY MUSTARD
  • FENNEL SEEDS
  • GARLIC POWDER
  • GARLIC SALT
  • GINGER
  • LEMON PEPPER
  • MEAT TENDERIZER - SEASONED
  • NUTMEG
  • OLD BAY
  • ONION POWDER
  • OREGANO
  • PAPRIKA
  • PICKLING SPICE
  • POULTRY SEASONING
  • RED PEPPER FLAKES
  • ROSEMARY
  • SAGE
  • SEASONING SALT
  • SYLVIA'S SECRET SOUL FOOD SEASONING
  • TARRAGON
  • TUMERIC
  • THYME
  • WHITE PEPPER
Comments anyone?  Have I missed any essential spices?

Here is what another blogger came up with using Ikea picture hanging shelves - I ultimately once I buy the nest want to have my spices arranged accordingly.






No comments:

Post a Comment